Help Save the Environment
By encouraging your kids to get their hands dirty!
Children who understand how much time, effort, and care goes into growing food will understand how important farmers are, and why it’s important to take care of our Earth. Gardening creates environmental stewards and encourages healthy eating. Gardening is #CompassionInAction!
The future of the environment is scary, but there are ways to reduce your impact. Today!
If you want your kids to learn how they can do their part to build a healthier planet, encourage them to get their little hands into growing their own food. Gardening is good for the environment for several reasons!
- Growing your own food allows you to stop relying on traditional methods of purchasing your produce from a grocery store. These foods travel around 1,500+ miles before ever being consumed, and this transportation method emits dangerous amount of carbon emissions and waste associated with air freight into the atmosphere. You are also reducing waste such as man-made plastics and cardboard, that also travels thousands of miles.
- By growing your own food, you KNOW what you are eating and what has gone into producing that food. Commercial farming pours harmful chemicals into our soil and water, it utilizes a lot of pesticides and fertilizers to grow their crops, filling our earth and our food with harmful chemicals that cause diseases.
- Organically growing your own food is sustainable and nourishes your soil by using safe and natural fertilizers and products.
- Growing your own food can create habitats for smaller life forms like birds, insects, aphids, ants and other species that thrive and reproduce in the ecosystem.
- Growing your own food, opens up a great learning opportunity. You have the chance to learn about the weather and other environmental factors that may not have been relevant for you to be aware of before in order to help your crops flourish.
Growing your own food can also be a fun, family task to take on to make an environmental impact together and to teach your children the importance of going green!
At Compassionate Press we firmly believe a good book will bring attention to this very subject matter, specially how changing our eating habits can have a significant impact on the environment as well.
I invite you to discover one of our favorites -Plant A Seed- from our reading collection!